Blogging is one of the most powerful weapons in your company’s digital marketing strategy, offering a chance to showcase your brand personality while building strong customer relationships and promoting products without the explicit approach of standard adverts. However, as any SEO agency will confirm, the blog cannot influence consumer decisions if nobody knows it exists.
While social media, word of mouth, and other tactics can generate some traffic, search engines remain the #1 source of clicks by far. Therefore, optimizing your blog posts for search engines should be a priority at all times. Content is king, and the following tips will ensure that your site becomes blogging royalty.
#1. Use Optimized Keyword Research
While Google uses over 200 metrics to rank pages, keywords are the most important feature. After all, the search engine cannot deliver relevant results to the user unless it knows what they are searching for. Keywords are the terms and phrases that web users actively search for. If you can predict what they will ask Google to find (while ensuring that it’s relevant to your blog), you will gain a better ranking.
To master keyword choices, follow these steps:
- Opt for long-tail keywords consisting of three or four words because the competition on short-tail keywords, such as ‘makeup tutorial’ or ‘best outfits’ are highly competitive. Besides, there isn’t enough description to truly know whether your content is truly relevant.
- Consider the fact that voice search has become incredibly popular, and add keywords that reflect the way people conduct voice-based searches.
- Check Google’s ‘rich results’ feature on the SERPs to understand the level of content you are competing with. If a mega blogger with millions of followers has created a content-rich blog supported by visual features, you may struggle to beat it.
Blogs need to entice readers, which is why the choice of keyword is so vital. An SEO company can help you find the best opportunities for the sake of your time, budget, and click-through rate.
#2. Optimize Keywords In Titles & H-Tags
After choosing the right keywords for your content, it’s imperative that you take the right steps to ensure that they perform. Ensuring that they appear in the most influential positions should be at the top of your agenda. Titles and headings are heavily weighted by SEO spiders and crawlers. To make the most of this, you should:
- Include the keyword in the title of your blog post.
- Change the URL and ensure that the keyword is present.
- Use your <h1>, <h2> and <h3> tags accordingly.
Given that the title and the URL tell Google spiders what the page is about, their impact on page rankings is huge. Meanwhile, the <h> tags are the ideal place to promote both keywords and secondary keywords. Better still, the headings break up your content, which makes it easier to read for search engines and readers alike.
#3. Write A Meta Description
The performance of your blog isn’t all about visibility. If you think about your result on the SERPs as an advert, a high ranking essentially ensures that your ad is placed in the shop window. However, the content must spark enough interest to make the user choose your weblink over the others listed on the SERPs. Your meta description is the best resource at your disposal.
A meta description box gives you roughly 300 characters to describe what the blog post is about and (hopefully) secure a click. Some top tips for mastering this process are:
- Add the keyword, secondary keyword, or key phrase.
- Try to solve a prospective reader’s dilemma, perhaps with a question.
- Show that your content will add genuine value, either as info or entertainment.
Depending on the CMS or web builder you use, it’ll be possible to use plug-ins and tools that give hints and pointers on how to perfect your meta descriptions. If this part of your advert engages users, there’s every chance that traffic levels will soar.
#4. Use Links To Optimize The Blog
Links are another important feature for your blog marketing strategy, and you’ll have noticed that this post has several of them. There is a good reason behind this. Search engines view links as a recommendation or referral, which verifies the quality of your website and blog content. Meanwhile, a blog that links to other sites shows that it is a part of the community, which is another green flag as far as Google algorithms are concerned.
Therefore, your linking tactics should include three main points:
- Internal links to your other blog posts or relevant web pages, such as products.
- Outbound links to other websites that will interest your readers without stealing your readership.
- Links pointing to your site from other websites through guest posting and other tactics.
The value of links for your SEO strategy is supported further by the fact that it helps readers navigate to additional blog posts while also winning new readers from other websites.
#5. Avoid Black Hat SEO
Google knows that website owners want to boost their web page ranking, and actively encourage it. However, the search engine is aware that many sites try to trick the algorithms. Consequently, then, it will hand out penalties if you are deemed to cheat the system.
SEO-building techniques can be categorized as white hat or black hat. The former describes strategies that boost your organic ranking in ways that Google appreciates. The latter is anything that could land to a penalty and should be avoided at all costs. Examples include:
- Keyword stuffing, particularly to terms that aren’t relevant to your blog.
- Invisible text that uses keywords to boost SEO but doesn’t relate to the content.
- The use of doorway pages.
While most black hat techniques are obviously not right, it is possible for inexperienced bloggers and business owners to fall into the trap without even realizing it. If you’re worried about this, a digital marketing agency can help you stay on the right track.
#6. Focus On The Website
Content is king, and the blog page itself should remain a priority. However, it’s not the only issue that will influence the SEO performance of your posts. Therefore, you must ensure that the website as a whole is built with SEO in mind. Some top tips include:
- Employ a design that is optimized for mobile.
- Ensure that the website is supported by good security and minimal downtime.
- Focus on quick loading times, easy navigation, and good metadata.
A high-quality website lays the foundation for a strong SEO strategy, and an optimized blog can become your greatest weapon for winning over Google as well as your visitors.