Gone are the days whereby you could simply include a bunch of keywords in your content to rank highly. Today, there are many different factors that Google considers when determining how high to rank a website. Mobile optimisation is one of these.
What is mobile optimisation?
Mobile optimisation is a term that is used to describe the process of altering your website to make sure that visitors can access your website and have the best possible experience when browsing on a smaller device, such as their smartphone. The website will be optimised so that their mobile experience is a great one.
Why does mobile optimisation matter for SEO?
Mobile phones have overtaken desktops as the most popular devices used when accessing the Internet in fact, they account for 52% of web page views. Because of this, it makes sense to improve the mobile experience. If that was not enough, Google has started that they will rank websites based on their mobile version, so there is nowhere to hide when it comes to this.
Over the years, Google has increasingly focused on the mobile web experience. In fact, in 2013, the search engine announced that bad mobile experiences would result in penalties. Since then, they have made numerous amendments to their algorithm to ensure that mobile experience is carefully considered when ranking a website.
In May of 2019, the search engine giant revealed that mobile-first indexing would be enabled by default. What this basically means is that sites will be ranked based on their mobile website first. Google will crawl every website to ensure that the website is responsiveness, data is structured, and there is a parity of content.
How can you optimise your mobile website and improve your ranking?
Now that you know why mobile optimisation is important for SEO, let’s take a look at some of the steps you can follow:
- Create a separate mobile URL – The first step is to create a separate mobile URL. With this, you will be able to make a parallel site for users on their mobile devices. This means that the mobile experience can be a customised one, ensuring that users enjoy a seamless and enjoyable journey through your website. This ensures that mobile users always get the mobile experience when they head to your website via their smartphone.
- Make sure your Meta descriptions and title tags are optimised – Your Meta descriptions and title tags make up an essential part of mobile SEO. When users are on their mobile, they are looking for information fast. Therefore, your Meta description and title tags need to be short and snappy, including your keywords.
- Focus on the user experience – User experience (UX) is of critical importance today. When it comes to a mobile website, there are a number of things you can do to ensure your website provides a fun and enjoyable experience for the user. Firstly, you need to make sure that the font you choose is legible on a smaller device. Aside from this, implement easy-to-find calls to action (CTA) buttons. This will ensure that it is evident what steps your customers should take next and this will help to increase your conversion levels too. A thumb-friendly design is important too. When someone clicks on something, it should take them where they want to go, rather than bouncing to another page.
- Integrate responsive design – Responsive design make sure that your website design adapts to the device that it is being viewed on. So, no matter whether someone is accessing your site via a mobile phone or a tablet, the website will respond to this page, making it a lot easier for the viewer to navigate and enjoy your website.
- Improve the load time of your website – The final piece of advice when it comes to improving the mobile experience is making sure your website is quick to load. No one wants to spend minutes waiting for a page to load! Your site should load within one to two seconds. In fact, the best sites will load in less than a second. This can have a highly beneficial impact on your SEO ranking.
Final words on mobile SEO optimisation
If your website is not optimised for mobile use, there is no time to waste. Contact us today to find out more about how we can help you to improve your mobile website.